- “When I Saw Her, I Knew That Was What I Wanted,” American Studies Association, Atlanta, GA. (November 2019)
Previous Presentations & Talks by the PQHP
- “Queer Archives, Right Now” Workshop for TUFFEST 2018, Seattle, WA (July 2018).
- “For the Record: Archival Video Screening and Talk from the Pittsburgh Queer History Project.” Rendezvous, Jewel Box Theater, Seattle, WA (July 2018).
- Guest Speaker for Graduate Level Participatory Archives course, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA (June 2018).
- “Friends Making Records in Oral History,” Southwest Oral History Association, University of California at Fullerton Fullerton, CA. (April 2018)
- Guest speaker for LIS 560: Collections Management, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. (April 2018)
- “Goin’ [da:n] Liberty: Tracing White Pittsburgh English in the PQHP Archives,” Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference, Hershey, PA. (April 2018)
- “Lives of Their Own,” Presentation and video screening, Pittsburgh Underground Film Festival, Pittsburgh Filmmakers, Pittsburgh, PA. (August 2017)
- “Race and Authenticity in LGBT Archival Practice,” Archives Education and Research Institute, Toronto, ON. (July 2017)
- “Archiving with a Community: Lessons from the Pittsburgh Queer History Project,” Guest lecture for MTD 6601.21: Archives in Thought and Practice, George Washington University, Washington, D.C. (July 2017)
- “Goin’ [da:n] Liberty: Tracing White Pittsburgh English in the PQHP Archives,” Deep Dish Lecture Series, Institute for LGBT Studies, University of Arizona. (April 2017)
- “Dubious Man of the Year: The Story of Tex Gill, Pittsburgh’s Red Light District and the implications of 1980s Urban Renewal,” Deep Dish Lecture Series, Institute for LGBT Studies, University of Arizona. (March 2016)
- “Voicing Racial Segregation in the Pittsburgh Queer History Project Archives,” Oral History Association, Long Beach, CA. (October 2016)
- “Black Trans Oral Histories in the Pittsburgh Queer History Project Archives,” Trans*Studies Conference, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. (September 2016)
- “Walk the Walk: Black Trans Oral History and Data Discrimination,” Society of American Archivists, Atlanta, GA. (August 2016)
- “A Member in Good Social Standing: Pittsburgh’s Gay and Lesbian Social Clubs, 1960-1990,” Gay American History at 40, The New School, New York, NY. (May 2015)
- “A History of Queer Pittsburgh,” Pittsburgh Humanities Festival, Pittsburgh, PA. (March 2015)
- “Dante ‘Tex’ Gill: Dubious Man of the Year,” Moving Trans History Forward, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC. (March 2015)
- “PQHP: Cataloguing Ephemeral LGBTQ Collections,” Time and Space Studio, Carnegie Mellon University School of Art. (November 2014)
- “The $10,000 Woman: Trans Artifacts in the PQHP Archives,” Guest lecture for Dr. Leah DeVun, Rudgers University, New Brunswick, NJ. (November 2014)
- “Lucky After Dark: Queer History and Historical Traces of the AIDS Epidemic,” Guest lecture for graduate seminar in Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. (October 2014)
- “Doing Queer Public History and Archives,” Guest lecture for gender & women’s studies undergraduate course, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. (September 2014)
- “Queer After Hours,” Queer Practices, Places, and Lives, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. (May 2014)
- “Lucky After Dark: Building the Pittsburgh Queer History Project Archives,” Radical Archives, New York University, New York, NY. (April 2014)
- “Lucky After Dark: Geneologies of Queer Nightlife and Upcoming Exhibition,” Artist-in-Residence Lecture, Carnegie Mellon University. (April 2014)
- “HMU at the Social Club,” Trans-Q LIVE, Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh, PA. (September 2013)
- “Pittsburgh’s Gay and Lesbian Social Clubs: A Queer Archeology of Pittsburgh,” Clash Zones: Identities in (R)evolution, Cambridge, MA. (April 2013)
The Pittsburgh Queer History Project on WESA 90.5 Pittsburgh’s NPR Station!
“Inventing Pittsburgh” 90.5 WESA NPR- Gay Social Club History with Harrison Apple, Tim Haggerty, and Douglas Rehrer
“Essential Pittsburgh” 90.5 WESA NPR- LGBT History Month Interview with PQHP Co-Director Harrison Apple
The Pittsburgh Queer History Project in the News!
Pittsburgh CityPaper: Lucky After Dark
Keeping Lucky’s Memory Alive in a Featured Obituary from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Pittsburgh City Paper: One More Time, Old School Ball
Electronic Beats: Before Hot Mass, The Man Behind Gay Pittsburgh’s Nightlife
Electronic Beats: How America’s Stand Out Party “Hot Mass” is Changing Pittsburgh